Re: Q: What makes code whose copyright has been assigned stay GPL'd?

This has nothing to do with gcc.  This topic is better covered in
gnu.misc.discuss.  The short answer is donate code to the projects you
want, and don't donate code to projects you don't want to.  Quite a
few people have enough trust in the process to not worry about it,
quite a few people don't donate any work.  Life goes on.