Re: Converting the gcc backend to a library?

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 02:00:11PM -0800, Edward Jason Riedy wrote:
> Um, am I the only one who's seen an obviously gcc executable (the main()
> called when you run gcc) connected to a frontend derived from an Edison
> Group frontend and an proprietary backend that happens to have many of
> the same variable dependency bugs as that version gcc?
Possibly. If the FSF knew about it, they would be all over them. I'm sure
the FSF would appreciate you mentioning it to them.

> In other words, this already happens.  And it didn't seem terribly
> complicated, although I obviously didn't have the source.
Sure, but that's clearly illegal. The current method would blur the lines
between legal and illegal.

> However, dynamic compilation itself raises some fun licensing points.
Check out gnu.misc.discuss for more detail. However, it's generally
understand that the license of the interpreter wrt the license of the
interpreted code is irrelevant, unless you binary dump it or something.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
This message property of the Secret Masters. Unauthorized