Re: killing STDC_0_IN_SYSTEM_HEADERS

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> > In other words, he felt it more important to promote compatibility
> > among GCC platforms than to promote compatibility between GCC and Sun C.
> > Both goals are important, but here they're mutually exclusive.
> RMS has a valid point, but I think the larger goal - encouraging people
> to write portable code - would be better served by matching the vendor
> compiler.  Since Solaris (and other SVR4 compilers, apparently) do define
> __STDC__ to 0 in a user visible fashion, it is not portable to test __STDC__
> except with #ifdef.  We should not hide this issue from people.

What does ISO C say regarding the value of __STDC__ ? If it says that
__STDC__ should be 1, than I think that we should follow it, even on
Solaris. Being bug-compatible with vendor compilers is not one of GCC
goals, AFAIK.

Just my US$0.02,

/ Kamil Iskra  kamil@wins.uva.nl                                          \
| Section Computational Science, Faculty FNWI, Universiteit van Amsterdam |
| tel. +31 20 525 75 30  fax. +31 20 525 74 90                            |
\ Kruislaan 403  room F.219  1098 SJ Amsterdam (NL)                       /