Re: killing STDC_0_IN_SYSTEM_HEADERS

  In message <200001062209.RAA23081@blastula.phys.columbia.edu>you write:
  > >It seems that my information is just outdated.  gcc 2.7.* would
  > >present problems for almost any network-related application, because
  > >lots of headers were `fixinclude'd, and they ended up incompatible
  > >with those that did not have to be fixed, and were picked from
  > >/usr/include, regardless of OS version.
  >
  > Unfortunately, if we were to fixinclude for the "__STDC__ == 0" problem, we
  > would go right back to touching many headers.  On a 2.6 system:
I don't necessarily mind touching headers, but we really want to avoid
*copying* headers if we can.  Ie if we can do this with a wrapper, then we
ought to be in good shape.

While we generally do not expect toolchains to work across major revisions
of a vendor OS (solaris2.5 vs solaris2.6 vs solaris2.7), we do expect it
to work within a minor revision (solaris2.5, solaris2.5.1, etc).  The
more header files we copy, the less likely we are to be able to run solaris2.x
tools on solaris 2.x.y systems, which is bad.

I would recommend that you find the original discussion that led to this
__STDC__ == 0 hack.  I'd bet searching for Paul Eggert would be a good start
since I think he played a significant role in this work.

jeff