Draft document "Writing a new Front End for GCC" available for comments

The document is available at my temporary web site
<http://timjosling.homepage.com/tree.diffs.txt>(1), in the form
of a diff file from the current "Using and Porting GNU C"
(gcc.texi) tree, based on the 19991228 gcc snapshot. This is not
to suggest that it is ready right now to incorporate into the
book, however.

It is a translation by me of Joachim Nadler's paper which he
advised to the gcc mailing list some time ago. It is quite a
comprehensive discussion what to do to create 'a new member of
the GNU compiler family' and includes two examples.

The translation is a little too literal at the moment (and there
are a few things I didn't quite get).

However the main problem is that it is somewhat out of date -
this is where I could really use some help from those on the
mailing list. Towards the end I included a summary of the changes
I have become aware of, since the document was first written.
Even if they cannot be fully documented at least people will know
roughly where the mines are.

I am also sending a copy to Joachim, which will be the first time
he has seen the full translation, although he is aware I was
working on it. Rather than get feedback from JN and the gcc list
serially, I thought it would be better to do so in parallel. If
you are having trouble getting the file, I will email it to you
on request,

Tim Josling

(1) The .txt appendage is to ensure the web server and certain
browsers knows it is a text file.