Re: Linux vs. libio

> I'd like reassurance on the following point: assuming there is some change
> in gcc that is necessary for the larger good of gcc (specifically, a modern
> C++ ABI, without vtables/thunks related bugs, and liable to work correctly
> from the start on IA64), that may mean some unpleasantness for glibc or
> linux folks (like having to upgrade the glibc version number...), will the
> Steering Committee take steps to ensure the Right Thing is done ?

IMHO, the decision is up to the glibc people.  By that I mean that we've
already more or less committed that GCC 3.0 will by default support the
new all-singing all-dancing good-until-a-new-committee-breaks-things
C++ ABI.  The glibc maintainers can either preserve the same version
number by using whatever hooks are necessary, or upgrade the version
number.  If they can do the former without significant performance
penalties, then that will be the preferable choice.

BTW, how are the BSD folks handling the C++ requirements for consistency
between stdout/cout and stderr/cerr?