Re: Data on PDF vs PS (Was Re: Online docs page should ..) [With prelim patch]

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 09:56:58PM +0100, Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> discussion about including PDF files on the web site. It seems to me
> there was a lack of knowledge of the state of the art of producing PDF
> files with free software [apologies if I am misreading those messages]
>
> 1. PDF files [produced with free software] are large and low quality.

At least this point is proven with your data (so there is not really a
lakc of knowledge in this point ;). both gzipped und plain pdf files are
larger than gzipped ps files.

> Both file types are fully scalable. In my experience PDF files
> are easier to deal with on non-unix platforms.

But only when not gzipped. Which means that pdf files are about twice as
large as corresponding postscript files. Both are not browsable online.

That means, that if we want to reduce the transfer load on the servers pdf is
the wrong choice.

If we weant to provide .pdf files for platforms incapable of ps+html
processing, we could eat 2x the data to help these.

But actually, I doubt that a pdf version will be more sueful than a html
version (that already exists).

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|