Re: regno_reg_rtx and related macros

    Richard>     Yup.  And, the old way meant that working on the code
    Richard> required you to know more: namely the variables and the
    Richard> places in various structs where they were squirrelled
    Richard> away as we switched between functions.

    Richard> No, you didn't need to "know" that since you could just
    Richard> look at what's in the source and pass that to the
    Richard> debugger.

I'm not talking about debuggin; I'm talking about coding.  When
coding, as Bernd just explained, you had to know that things got
copied around, and what they were called in both places.

    Richard>     I agree with Bernd; expanding the macros in the
    Richard> source is probably an improvement.  Then you can
    Richard> cut-and-paste things again.  Of course, the things will
    Richard> be longer.

    Richard> Right and *that* has a cleanliness impact!

Sure it does.  But, in my opinion, that negative impact is immensely
outweighed by all the other *positive* impacts from the change.