Splay Trees

We're doing a study of how splay trees are used in various
applications.  I can see from scanning the gcc mailing list archives
and the source code that Splay trees seems to be used in several
places in the compiler.

If someone could give a brief description of how they are used, that
would be great.  Also if anyone knows other systems in which they are
used (e.g. Linux), that would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Guy

Guy Blelloch
Associate Professor