Re: More agressive entity removal during linking

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> That is standard behavior for most linkers, believe it or not.

I imagine so, I've never really looked too closely enough to really care
:>

>   > I've read through the linker reference and it seems to me there are no
>   > flags to enable a size optimization like this - the only way seems to be
>   > to put 1 function/variable per .c file :<

> There is an option to do this, but it requires target specific compiler,
> assembler and linker support as well as a modern object format such as ELF
> (coff is too lame, sorry).

Alright - is it possible to do this with GCC? I have no quams about
switching the output target format for the compiler. Which format should I
use and which linker/compiler/assembler option turns this on (presumably
--gc-sections?) ?

Thanks,
Jason