Re: Documentation

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 12:36:00 +0000, AM-Fiber AM-Fiber 1045A wrote:
>  I want to read thru some of Your FAQ's -
> comp.lang.c.FAQ
> comp.lang.c++.FAQ
> comp.std.c++.FAQ
> but i can only find them as html pages.

Try:

  ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/lang/c/
  ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/lang/c++/
  ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/std/c/

> I am only a beginner in C/C++ programming, and so far i haven't even been
> able to locate a list over the contents of the header files in my system
> (sorry, runs a '486/20Mb/66Mhz with Linux RedHat 5.2 and KDE 1.0 - i use
> xwpe as frontend for gcc) - the result is, i keep trying to use some
> DOS-specific headers, and ruin the whole thing. Thank God for Linux, in
> DOS i would probably have to re-install everything... :-)

AFAIK there isn't such a document. The files in /usr/include are just the
standard ANSI header files, Linux/Unix header files, and header files for
other packages you installed (X, GTK+, Qt, GNOME, KDE, etc.).

> Can You suggest anything to read for a programmer novice on a *nix
> system ? In advance, thanks for *ANY* help you can provide

"The C programming language", 2nd edition, by Brian Kernighan and Dennis
Ritchie. This is just about standard ANSI C, no DOS or Unix extentions.
For Unix programming topics, I use "Advanced programming in the UNIX
environment" by W. Richard Stevens.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl