Re: Porting to Linux

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Santiago Almenara Masías wrote:
> Besides what's the difference between GCC and EGCS? Why do I need to
> install EGCS before GCC in Red Hat's RPM?

Please have a look at our web page at http://gcc.gnu.org and our FAQ
(also on the web) where we tried to answer this questions.

If you have any further questions or suggestions on how we could improve
those sources of information, we'd happy to know! ;-)

I should not be necessary to install EGCS before GCC, unless RedHat has
broken something. Are you using an up-to-date distribution?

> libc6 = glibc. It means if I have a program linked in libc5 or less.
> Will run in any glibc system?

No. You always need the correct libraries to run a (dynamically) linked
program, but it is possible to have several sets of libraries, e.g.
glibc1 plus glibc2 installed on a single system.

Gerald