Re: Red Hat/Cygnus merger & GCC

 > On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:34:46 -0700, Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> said:
 >> I'm sure most of you have heard about the Red Hat/Cygnus merger
 >> that was announced on Monday.

 >> I'd just like to reassure everyone that the merger should not
 >> have any significant impact on GCC development, either on a day
 >> to day level or long term.

 > Sort of like having Microsoft as one player among many. "No, we won't
 > have any undue influence or control, how could you even begin to think
 > such a thing?"

Excuse me, does Microsoft release their code under the GPL?  Did they set
up a Windows steering committee where they had <50% representation to
oversee Windows development, to safeguard against giving themselves an
undue advantage?  Did they break temporarily with the FSF in order to make
their code and development process *MORE* open to the public?

What possible parallels could you draw between us and them other than that
both are successful software companies?

Jason