Re: Chill vs. Pascal sets, 2nd turn (was: Time schedule?)

    IMHO someone who is more familiar with RTL than I am should enable
    BIT_FIELD_REF to accept non-constant bit offsets.

I agree this should be done.  It would also be useful for Ada since
packed arrays could also be hanlded directly in the back-end.  It's
been on my list of things to for a while, but it's a lot of work.  I
think it basically means rewriting a whole bunch of code: on the other
hand, it's code that's more than overdue for such a rewrite.