Re: I'm a bit confused by the tree...

On Oct 23, 1999, "Marty Leisner" <leisner@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm pointing out that this is far larger than previous
> distributions of gcc, I'd like to see some discussion somewhere of
> what changed and why  (I'm not heavy into c++, but libstdc++ was a
> seperate package)

You can still get each language separately, if you prefer.

> (I got into this because I build gcc into a
> "beta directory", and it install libstdc++ into this beta directory,
> and it can't find libstdc++.so unless I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH -- perhaps
> the specs file should be automatically add -rpath $(GCC_LIB_DIRECTORY)
> or something like that).

There have been lots of discussions about this, but it seems to be
that the agreed upon solution is that, if you install gcc in a
non-standard directory and enable shared libraries, which are not
enabled by default, you probably know what to do to get it working.

> I also don't understand why texinfo is distributed

It's because it's smaller than the .info files it generates for gcc,
that, according to the GNU standards, should be distributed with the
package.

> (or include in the README "if you're running texinfo level x.y, you
> can delete the texinfo tree).

Since we only build a very small part of texinfo (namely, makeinfo), I
doubt this would save you many CPU cycles.  But feel free to post a
patch to the installation docs to the gcc-patches mailing list.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br,guarana.{org,com}} aoliva@{acm,computer}.org