Re: .weak vs. C++ templates. was: SCO 5.0.2 error

Jason Merrill wrote:

>  > What do we give up by turning off weak support in a target?
>
> Implicit instantiation of static data member templates, mainly; other than
> that, it's just that you get multiple copies of things in violation of the
> standard, but most programs don't care.
>
> I've come to the conclusion that the right fix for this situation is to
> always make template instantiations weak, whether implicit or explicit.
> Sound reasonable?

I defer completely to your judgement on this subject.  Whether that's
better or worse than just nuking .weak is something you're best
qualified to decide.

Is this a minor change in the C++ front end?  I'll quick-turn test
results on anything you like if it helps.  (Especially if it ends this
bad dream in 2.95.2 :-)

Thanx,
RJL