gcc-2.95.2 vs strict aliasing

This is an FYI, not an RFC -- I do not want to start another debate on the
strict aliasing issue _as it applies to the upcoming GCC 2.95.2 release_.

--

I have changed the branch to not perform strict aliasing optimizations by
default.  This is a tactical retreat to give us more time to continue sorting

We will reevaluate the strict aliasing decision for future releases
independently of the decision to disable them for the GCC 2.95.2 release.

--

I know this is a hot issue for many folks on both sides of the issue (myself
included).  Please let's keep from getting hot under the collar over this

jeff