Re: GCC museum?

Marty Leisner wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> In about 1989 I tried to do a port with gcc 1.x to the TI34010 -- I found the
> TI C compiler amazingly crude (poor?).

Plus it ran under Windows..

> I gave up after I saw how hard it would be (after I started generating a
> reasonable amount
> of code to teach me how to write a  machine description...)
>
> Does the current gcc have hooks in their for bit aligned
> processors?

As Jeffrey has pointed out, it doesn't.  I recall that it loses info at
quite a high level.  For example,

	char *p; int i;
	p[i];

is recognised and expanded in cp-typeck.c (now cp/typeck.c) and the info
which the backend needed to multiply the subscript by 8 was sort of lost
(lost to me, anyway).

> Are there any bit aligned processors currently of interest?

Not that I'm aware of.  The TMS34010 is "obsolete" and the '020 is "not
for new designs".

http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/products/process/tms34010.html
http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/products/process/tms34020a.html

> I think you should put the work in a public, safe place, in case anyone
> needs it...

OK, I'll do a little web page.  I'll put up all the others necessities
of life also: as34, ld34, nm34, dis34, size34, strip34, pc34. (Hey, it
all still compiles!)