Re: Processor information

> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:35:41 +0200
> From: "Martin v. Loewis" <martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>

> - What is elxsi?

Elxsi is the name of a now defunct company that designed and built
their own CPUs, boards and systems and OS.  They could run n copies of
AT&T sysv and n copies of bsd unix, and 1 copy of Emboss (the `native'
OS for lack of a better term).  Really bitchen MP hardware that did
message passing in hardware.  The chip had _no_ supervisor mode,
didn't need it, it has secure communications channels in hardware, and
rights and so forth associated with those channels.  As you `gave up'
rights, you became less privileged.

What more can I say, of probably lots....  What more you want to know?
They were last traded on the stock exchange as a shell company that
did restaurant supply as I recall, and last I knew they were still
traded.

They were consumed by the faster/better/cheaper pace of technology.