Re: type based aliasing again

<craig@jcb-sc.com> writes:
>>What you repeatedly miss is that there are many many more
>>people that use gcc as the "free software install tool" than there are
>>who actually write programs.
>
>What you, and others, repeatedly miss is that GCC is a compiler,
>not a free-software install tool.

It can be both - let us agree to differ.

>Please stop lying about GCC breaking anything.  It is the *code*
>that is broken.

It is now we are forced to use C rather than "the language supported by
gcc-2.8.1" ;-)

>The programmers must fix it.  That is the division
>of labor that the industry, as well as nature, have chosen.

Help from the compiler (warnings) would make the programmers job easier.
Warnings/errors would also make the "other" users of the compiler suspicious
and make them track down and punish the programmers.

>If you think the problem is so bad, then go and fix *it* in all the
>code you think is too "stable and trusted" to be permitted to fail
>due to its own bugs.

Quick fix (add the flag) has been done for perl. We are looking at how to
do the clean fix without performance hit - not to mention tracking down
exactly where all the bugs actually are which is not always obvious.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons <nik@tiuk.ti.com>
Via, but not speaking for: Texas Instruments Ltd.