Re: EGCSTENSIONS PATCH for 2.95.1 for using SUN make with builddir != srcdir

  In message <Pine.GSO.4.10.9909120024510.21301-100000@markab.dbai.tuwien.ac.at
>you write:
  > On 11 Sep 1999 craig@jcb-sc.com wrote:
  > > I've assumed that GNU make (gmake) is required to be built, out of the
  > > box, using not only a K&R C compiler, but Sun make as well.
  > >
  > > If that's not the case, then either gmake or GCC should be fixed to
  > > build with Sun make, given how popular Sun systems are...right?
  >
  > Yup. As far as I remember my last tests, gmake does indeed build with
  > Sun make.
  >
  > Still it would be nice to also have Sun make or GCC changed so that the
  > two of them work together fine.
I don't see the need to do this.

People can easily build gmake on old stunos systems.  Or they can build within
the source tree.

While we do not generally recommend building in the source tree, this is the
one case where it is reasonable (and necessary).
jeff