Re: FreeBSD 4.0

> Because the "real" type is __gnuc_va_list.  Doing it your way won't do
> what you want.  I hope you don't have system headers that typedef
> _BSD_VA_LIST_ without reference to gcc's stdarg.h -

    from /usr/include/machine/ansi.h

        #define _BSD_VA_LIST_   char *                  /* va_list */

There are no GCC headers in my base system.  We've never needed them, and
there are copyright issues anyway.

> for one thing, we probably just irrevocably broke them.

That is not good.  (doesn't anyone there have access to a BSD machine??)

> The problem with __gnuc_va_list is primarily aesthetic.

If it is only aesthetics then lets leave it alone.

> Everyone has to agree on the underlying typedef name because of C++
> mangled names.  Therefore I would like the underlying typedef name to
> be compiler-neutral.

If you want g++ compiled by someone under FreeBSD to work with the base
compiler, libs etc.  the type will need to be _BSD_VA_LIST_ (char *).

> People do want to use glibc with compilers other than gcc.

I don't care what other people do with glibc.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)