linking egcs code on the DEC

Hi,  I've been writing source code on the DEC using egcs for a few months
now.  I'm using 2.91.60 version.  The problem is that the -g option makes
the object files so large that the linker is running out of memory during
the link phase.  The linker being used is the native linker - and I think
that gnu doesn't have a version of the gnu-linker for the dec - if it did
I could using the gnu linker option that does not load all the object
files into memory.

Does anyone know of a work around to this problem.  Here are some of the
solutions I've been trying:

- use the -gcoff instead of -g : but this causes gdb to go haywire when
debugging C++.
- buy more memory or increase swap ( may be no budget for this )
- upgrade to new version of egcs - (is this bug fixed ??? )
- is there a option to DEC ld which does not cause everything to be loaded
into memory ?

The problem is the app is just a medium sized application but the link
process grows above 200 megs.