configuring C++ download

HELP!  I'm can't figure out how your instructions on configuring, building
and installing the compiler program I downloaded.

I downloaded the "EGCS 1.1.2 to GCC 2.95 diffs, gzip format, 7.0 meg

The only zip program my computer has is WINZIP.

I have windows 95 and Microsoft programs .

I went into msdos prompt and was able to mkdir objdir.cc and cd objdir.cc

I couldn't get any further other than to mkdir srcdir.cc but the configure
command just won't work in my system.

I want to be able to write and run C or C++ programs, but I don't know how
to get this compiler working.  Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Amy Piper
pipercubs@prodigy.net