Re: Details on binutils/gas/ld

On Aug 13, 1999, "Vijay" <vijay@saionline.com> wrote:

> gcc2.8.1 on solaris 2.6 choking on symbols produced by code like

> map<string, map<string,string> > xmap;
> xmap.insert(make_pair(some_pair));

> usr/ccs/bin/as: "/var/tmp/cc1Ivwu_.s", line 7435: error: can't compute value of an expression involving an external symbol

That's usually because the assembler can't deal with the long mangled
names produced by gcc.  See http://egcs.cygnus.com/faq.html#squangle

> What may i do? The darned thing compiles fine under VC++ 6.0!!

It also compiles fine with gcc.  The only problem is the assembler,
that the compiler implicitly runs for you.

> I AM TOLD that gas and the gnu loader will solve this problem.

Yup.  In fact, you only need gas, but since you can get both at the
same time, why not? :-)

> gcc 2.95 is not yet available for solaris 2.6.

Huh?  Of course it is.  You can even use the gcc 2.8.1 you've got to
build gcc 2.95 on Solaris 2.6.

> 1.  install gas and the loader for sparc2.6

Get GNU binutils from ftp.gnu.org or see
http://egcs.cygnus.com/faq.html#x86eh

See http://egcs.cygnus.com/faq.html#gas

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il