Re: Linker Error on Solaris 2.5.1 with GCC 2.95

On 12 Aug 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Aug 12, 1999, Anna Winkler <awinkler@maad.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm compiling a 3rd party application on Solaris 2.5.1 with GCC 2.95.  I
> > installed the Solaris 2.5 freeware package of GCC 2.95, so it was not
> > compiled on my system.
>
> > /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1/2.95//libgcc.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
>
> > I updated my path so that the ld in /usr/ccs/bin is the one found first
>
> The PATH doesn't make any difference, only what the command `gcc
> -print-prog-name=ld' prints does.
>
> I've got this very same problem when building gcc 2.95 when I
> configured it to use GNU ld and GNU as, but I hadn't updated my
> installation script to create the links to GNU ld and GNU as in the
> installation tree, as recommended in the FAQ (which I myself wrote!
> :-)
>
> Maybe the binary distribution you got is supposed to use ld and as
> from GNU binutils?  Better check the docs.

gcc -print-prog-name=ld returns /usr/local/sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1/bin.  I
added that to my path, so that's the first ld found, then recompiled.  I
still got the same linker error.

Unfortunately there isn't much documentation with this binary
distribution.

--Anna