Re: anonymous CVS stuff

At 05:23 PM 7/27/99 GMT, Philipp Thomas wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:16:17 -0700, David Starner
><dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org> wrote:
>>frontend (for Jovial), and I'm seriously considering writing in Ada,
>>because I don't want to write a project that large in C.
>
>Yes, and the one major obstacle with that approach is how you
>bootstrap your frontend.

Why? By that time I believe GNAT will build with gcc 3.0, so the only
difference is that you'll have to build GNAT too. It's not a bootstrap
problem anyway - a Jovial compiler can't compile Ada source code.

>A frontend written in something else than C
>necessitates that you need either a precompiled binary or assembler
>source for the host architecture.

This is not true. A frontend written in any language means you either need
a precompiled binary _or_ a cross-compiler to that platform. C is no
exception, it's just a little more common than Pascal or Ada.

>Look at the frontends currently present
>in GCC - all of them written in C and for a reason!

Yes, and while I understand that reason, it's not sufficent for me to
change my mind.

>If it wasn't for this bootstrapping problem, I'd have no objection.

An objection? You're objecting to me writing a compiler for free and giving
it away?
--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org (alternately dvdeug@hotmail.com)
"I would weep, but my tears have been stolen; I would shout, but my voice