Re: GCC 2.95 does not look in /usr/local/include

  In message <19990727092239Z.mitchell@codesourcery.com>you write:
  > If that's true, then that's what we need a patch to ensure.  I don't
  > know if that's true.  That's not what your patch does.
Right.  And I'm not even convinced we want a patch which tweaks the value
of local prefix when one uses some special magic value of prefix.  That
kind of stuff is generally bad.

  > The default prefix should stay /usr/local, even on Linux.  That makes
  > GCC consistent across platforms, and allows people to build compilers
  > without accidentally wiping out the default versions that shipped with
  > their systems.
Precisely.

  > I bet we already had this debate before; let's not go there again.
Yes.  A couple years ago.  I see no need to rehash it since just about
everyone but HJ came to the agreement that his patch was a horrible step
backwards.

jeff