Re: gcc-2.95: Naming of the TAR file? GCC-2.95.tar.gz? gcc-2.95.tar.gz?

>> "Horst" == Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> writes:

 Horst> patrick <patrick@mail.boxsoft.com> said: [About GCC for the name (and
 Horst> spelling) of the collection]

 >> this is unix land....stay with lowercase.  much more pleasent to look at
 >> and type (wasting keystrokes with shifts isn't necessary).

 Horst> I am proposing this as the name of the compiler _collection_, a name
 Horst> you'll rarely need to type. I think now it's the time to break with
 Horst> the past and clean up wrt names, and as the collection isn't called
 Horst> egcs anymore, and can't be called gcc IMVHO, I propose GCC.

Can I offer an alternative?  If I remember right, egcs stands for
_experimental_ _gnu_ _compiler_ _system_.  Since it has now become the
mainstream, it's no longer experimental, but it is still the same
comprehensive merged compiler system.  So how about <drum roll>

gcs - the GNU Compiler System

IMHO, GCC and gcc are bound to get confused in the minds of many.

 Horst> Yes, I'm subborn.

Cool!  All the more fun to finally change your mind :-)

Jerry

--
Jerry Quinn                             Tel: (514) 761-8737
jquinn@nortelnetworks.com               Fax: (514) 761-8505