anonymous CVS stuff

Anonymous CVS is starting to be a major drain on the egcs machine.  The load
average pegged for a while 40+, entirely due to 40+ anonymous CVS connections.

There are long term plans that should improve this situation, but until they
are in place we have to make do with what we've got.  (I'll talk more about
long
term plans after gcc-2.95 goes out the door.)

This evening, Ian Taylor upgraded our CVS server to a newer less resource
hungry version (the particular version we have been running has a couple of
notorious inefficiencies on the server side).

The new server also rejects anonymous connections when the load average is
> 15.  We hope this does not trigger often, but after watching the machine
grind to a halt two successive days entirely due to an absurd number of
anonymous CVS connections we felt it was necessary to impose some resource
limits.

You can also help -- don't do silly things like start up several remote
updates at the same time.  Some sites are making a half-dozen or more CVS
connections in a minute or two timespan (they'll remain unnamed for now).

We don't want to impose any additional restrictions on anonymous CVS usage,
but if the service is abused we'll have to take appropriate action.

Thanks for your patience.

jeff

ps.  In case anyone is wondering just how much CVS service that machine is
providing -- we're getting more than 9000 anoncvs connects weekly.