Re[2]: gcc --target=i386-realmode soon ?

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> You may already be aware of this, but note that the development
> version of gas includes much better real mode support than the code in
> the 2.9.1 release.  See
>     http://sourceware.cygnus.com/binutils
> for the binutils development sources.

  Hello,

  I am already using a (few month old) development release
 of GAS, because of the buggy hexadecimal encoding of:
    mov %ax,2(%bp)
    mov %ax,2(%di)
    mov %ax,2(%bp)
 Those generate the same hexadecimal with binutil-2.9.1 .

  But in fact I did not do the paper work needed to
 submit a patch to GNU projects (FSF), so I have just
 described the simple changes. Anyway the addr32 part
 is just a "dirty patch", which works but should
 probably be more integrated to the algorithm: you
 already detect this case, but flag it as an error,
 in fact it is perfectly working on every PC it tried,
 from AMD 386 to AMD K6 350 or Pentium II 400.

  I can try to generate an up-to-date patch for GAS,
 but in fact my VESA 2 / big (4Gb) flat real mode bug
 is still bothering me... mostly when VESA 1.x works.

  Thanks,
  Etienne.