Re: Bug with g77 and -mieee on Alpha Linux

Richard Henderson wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 06:04:04PM -0600, Donn Terry wrote:

> > Rounding mode only affects STORE operations.

> Toon was imprecise.  We were not speaking of rounding
> (bits 10:11 of fpcr) but rather precision (bits 8:9 of fpcr).

Not surprising - I'm operating without the document defining ia32
floating point arithmetic.  Richard, do you have an URL to it ?  I
couldn't find it on Intel's Web site.  Oops, I just realized - it's
probably in our Readings section ...

PS: Rounding mode is something different in IEEE-754 then what I was
referring to.  It doesn't tell at what bit to round, but which method of
rounding you want:  round to nearest, round to zero, round up or round
down.

> And in any case, rounding _does_ affect every operation.
> Just that in 64-bit precision mode, the rounding happens
> for the XFmode value of the register, rather than for the
> SFmode value of a variable.

As long as it's the same as that what happens when storing the SFmode
value in memory, we're safe (well, OK, modulo the range question).

Cheers,

--
Toon Moene (toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl)
Phone: +31 346 214290; Fax: +31 346 214286