Re: Bug with g77 and -mieee on Alpha Linux

In a message dated 7/12/99 3:56:36 PM PST, toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl writes:

> to the IEEE fans cost (as expressed in slowness of
>  computation) is irrelevant.
I've been reading all these exchanges and trying not to make too much noise.
To which costs do you refer?  The cost of trapped gradual underflows, which
ought to be eliminated by rescaling, not by departing from IEEE?   Probably
not the cost of extended precision divide and sqrt() on chips which support
them, since you said you didn't care about those.  The cost of not
indiscriminately replacing division by inversion and multiplication?  I'm
happy with writing that specifically into the code where I want it.  It looks
like Intel plans to make it a bigger issue than it is now.

Tim
tprince@computer.org