Effective C++ Warnings (-Weffc++)

(I am brand-new to this mailing list, so if these questions are misplaced,
please feel free to redirect me!)

Recently I have begun experimenting with the "Effective C++" warning option
(-Weffc++) in EGCS and the GNUPro Toolkit and find it quite helpful, except
for one thing...

As I am sure you are well aware, the standard library headers generate a
*ton* of warnings in this mode.  Most of the warnings come from the STL
headers, but some also show up in the iostream headers.

I am sure that this is not the appropriate list from which to seek standard
library changes/cleanup, so my question becomes this:

   Is it possible to suppress warnings such as these on a per-file (or
directory) basis?

I cannot find any such suppression option in the documentation for either
EGCS or the GNUPro Toolkit (version 98r2), but I might have overlooked
something.  I would love to run this warning option on my own code, but
suppress it for external libraries.

On a somewhat related topic, is there a list of exactly which Effective C++
items are analyzed by the "Weffc++" warning code?  The only documentation I
can find says, "Warn about violation of some style rules from 'Effective
C++' by Scott Meyers."

Thanks very much.

Tony Wetmore
Project Engineer, Kesmai Studios (http://www.kesmai.com)