Re: Bug with g77 and -mieee on Alpha Linux

 Tim> I'd be happy to resurrect paranoia or some similar code if you
 Tim> can specify it, in whichever version you like, and use that as
 Tim> the standard of whether g77 is dealing adequately with these
 Tim> issues.  It's been quite a few versions since I've run it,

I've run it a bit recently.  As reported on egcs-bugs, it's fine with
-mieee on current OSF1.  In default mode, there's one flaw, as with
the DEC compiler.

[While I'm on, it looks as though I don't actually agree with what
Toon says, contrary to what I said on egcs-bugs, but I haven't time to
plough through all this stuff right now and I'm not really sure what
his position is.  There are clearly uses for subnormals
(e.g. apparently in complex division) and I have done barrier
penetration calculations involving arbitrarily small dimensionless
numbers, not that that's a big deal or really the same issue as
numerical analysis robustness.  I did see things fall over in minor
ways when IEEE machines appeared.]