Re: making naked attr generally available

Richard Henderson wrote:
> And guess what -- later ELF revisions added DT_INIT_ARRAY so that
> there would be no need to glom function parts together like that.
> On targets that support DT_INIT_ARRAY, we can directly support
> .ctors without a __do_global_ctors_aux function, and without all
> the .init/.fini grossness you mention.

Good point, but what about targets that *DON'T* support DT_INIT_ARRAY?

.init/.fini may have been a mistake in the design of ELF (from the
compiler POV), but it's there now, and it *IS* nicer to be able to code
(cleanly) in C rather than using dirty hacks (I'm not counting naked as
dirty for this discussion, it's at least better).

> I have strong reservations about turning such a feature loose.
> There is no way we can explain how you can and cannot use the
> feature.  Code _will_ break from one compiler rev to the next.

"Use at your own risk!" does it for me.  *NO* low level coding is
suitable for the newbie.  They either sink or swim.  No point in holding
their hand, otherwise they'll just pull us down with them.

Bill
--
Leave others their otherness