Re: DG/UX Port - Giving Up!!

  > The problem is a little different, I think.  In order to build egcs, I
  > needed to use the GNU assembler.  However, the GNU assembler won't accept
  > the -W,a switches that the DG assembler needs.  So, I guess the right thing
  > to do is to configure egcs to run the assembler and linker from
  > /usr/local/bin and leave /usr/bin alone.  It's not really that I needed to
  > target two assemblers from the same compiler.  It's that I needed to run a
  > different assembler from each compiler.
Easy ;-)

By default egcs will do precisely what you want.  If you configure egcs and
binutils with the same --prefix (or no --prefix option), then egcs will be
able to find the installed GNU assembler before the system assembler.  This
is precisely what we do on hpux.

  > This GDB was configured as "i586-dg-dguxR4.20MU03"...
  > (gdb) break main
  > Breakpoint 1 at 0x8048d7a: file goodtest.C, line 34.
  > (gdb) run
  > Starting program: /lw/downloads/mico/bug/goodtest
  > Don't know how to run.  Try "help target".
  > (gdb)
This has nothing to do with the debug symbols.  I would bet that gdb has been
configured to think it is a cross-debugger.  I don't know how that happened,
but the failure you are seeing has nothing to do with the debug symbols.

In fact, the message "Breakpoint 1 at 0x8048d7a: file goodtest.C, line 34."
indicates that gdb was able to find and interpret the debug symbols correctly.

jeff