Re: When will PGCC be merged with EGCS?

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 03:56:35PM +0200, Fernando D. Mato Mira wrote:
> >So, next I went to Cygnus. I found a place to download egcs, but no mention of
> >any gcc (except the announcement that they have been merged).
>
> What was announced was that gcc3 will be based on egcs. There's no
> `merged' version yet.

The "merge" that was announced was meant politically. It means that both
the FSF and the EGCS Steering Committee merged efforts to take over the
maitainership of gcc. So, the first and most important change is that the
(now GCC) steering committee will decide on the future of the project.

There are many things that have to be changed until maintainership is
effectively transferred, among these is the update and the migration of
the egcs webpages to the "official" gnu server.

The merged project, however, has already renamed itself to

GCC (GNU Compiler Collection)

(note the cool new abbreviation ;)

There is no definite plan yet on when to release a gcc version, and which
version number it will have, but it will happen without doubt.