request for recommendations on starting a port...

    I'm about to start a port to a new chip (details are under
NDA, so don't ask :-).

   What version of egcs should I use as a starting point?  My
decision criteria are a balance of

	- stability such that I can get the compiler up quickly
	  (we have an aggressive schedule)

	- optimization requirements (the chip has a small footprint
	  for code and an even smaller data footprint)

   Is 1.1.2 a reliable enough starting point?

Thanks,
-- Al Lehotsky

		    Quality Software Management
		http://www.tiac.net/users/lehotsky
			lehotsky@tiac.net
			(978)287-0435 Voice
			(978)287-0436 Fax/Data

	Software Process Improvement and Management Consulting
	     Language Design and Compiler Implementation