Re: i18n of egcs

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 01:22:57 -0600, you wrote:

>Err, look in the "intl" subdirectory.  Isn't that the gettext code we need?  Is
>there some reason it is not being used?  I thought the whole point behind
>having a copy of the intl subdirectory was to deal with this issue.

No, as Andreas already wrote, the "intl" subdirectory really should be named
libintl as it only contains the code for the libintl library, not for the
gettext tools. It *is* used if either autoconf doesn't detect system support
for i18n message catalogs or the user specifically asks for it via
--with-included-gettext.

So we have three possible ways of dealing with the problem:

  1) convince Ulrich to make a new gettext release incorporating Pauls
     changes.
  2) add the modified gettext to the egcs package.
  3) Simply generate the necessary gcc.pot for snapshots and releases.

In my eyes, the third possibility is the easiest (short term) solution, as it
only requires that the user has a regular gettext package installed.

We will certainly have to think about a better solution once we really start
supporting NLS throughout the egcs package.

I have started an i18n todo list where I record observations made while
working on broadening the support and ideas for solutions that come up. I
intend to post it after we make the 1.2 branch.
I have also written a list of things egcs developers should be aware of as to
ease the work of translation which I'll also post after the branch.

And finally some good news. I finally got answer from the FSF translation
project maintainer on how to proceed. And if I'm convinced that I detected all
places in C,C++ and Java that need translation and if egcs still boots and
works with the changes I made to the code, I'll send my gcc.pot to the
translation robot to get the translations rolling.

Philipp Thomas

--
caffeine low .... brain halted