Re: i18n of egcs

On 28 Apr 1999 craig@jcb-sc.com wrote:

> That wasn't the issue.  I was responding to the issue of whether, in
> introducing `-iso', the `-ansi' option should be *dropped*.

Sorry, I must have misread it (I plead innocent on the grounds that at
time of writing I was wrestling with Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 - there are
days where I feel like smashing that emergency cabinet and getting that
axe out and dismembering all the Microsoft CDs into tiny bits). I don't
think we should drop the -ansi option for compatibility reasons, but
rather introduce -iso as an aliased flag. Then everyone's happy, yes?

> Just because ISO C == ANSI C does not mean people should be forbidden
> from asking for ANSI C compliance, just as they're not forced to
> invoke `gisoc' instead of `gcc' to compile their C programs.

Ah, I most definitely did not intend to imply that.

Cheers,
Alex
--
"A mind opened by new ideas cannot return to its original limits"

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk