Re: Serious Solaris problem (effects egcs-1.2)

  In message <orr9p633nd.fsf@lua.lbi.dcc.unicamp.br>you write:
  > On Apr 27, 1999, Jeffrey A Law <law@upchuck.cygnus.com> wrote:
  >
  > >   In message <199904270557.WAA09921@piglet.twiddle.net>you write:
  >
  > >> The first question, and an issue I've never been %100 clear on, should
  > >> we be preferring to use gas by default in any event on such a system?
  >
  > > I'm not sure either.
  >
  > > My first thought would be no, since gcc isn't going to find gas in
  > > this kind of situation.
  >
  > What if we tried to figure out the full pathname of AS in the cases:
Then we lose the ability to move toolchains around.  True, I haven't extracted
the last patch for that feature from the Cygnus tree (not enough time), but it's
going to be an important feature (it already is on the non-unix platforms).

  > and set DEFAULT_ASSEMBLER accordingly?  We should probably do the same
  > for DEFAULT_LINKER, though, in the name of the principle of least
  > surprise.
The "principle of least suprise" is why I'd kind of lean towards ignoring
any assembler during the autoconf phase that doesn't appear in the builtin
search paths for the compiler.  Of course, that may not be easy.

jeff