Re: Serious Solaris problem (effects egcs-1.2)

> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 23:57:36 -0700
> From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>

>     Jeffrey> Other thoughts?

> I've always found it confusing,

Ditto.

> and apparently so have some others, that GCC doesn't search the
> user's path for as.  Well, actually, it does on some platforms and
> not on others.

Inconsistency offers us a support burden.

> Jim Wilson and others made some pretty coherent arguments defending
> this inconsistency, but it still seems to me that it would be
> simpler to search the path.

Either that, or fixate the path to the found as into the compiler tree
at install time.  The user should be able to override with a -B flag
(if I understand the -B flag).  The last avoids the bug that the fix
that is now in there fixes, while the first solution I don't believe
does.

I don't know what I prefer.  Fixating the path I don't think is
_wrong_.  I mean, if we feature test the path found as, changing that
choice via a users path is slightly wrong anyway.