Re: egcs-newjump

  In message <Pine.LNX.4.04.9904221833330.20834-100000@lacrosse.redhat.com>you
write:
  > This is the result of my compiler class project over the course of a
  > semester. It is a reorganization of the jump optimization pass. No new
  > optimizations have been added - it is strictly a code cleanup & overhaul
  > job.
  >
  > 	INSTALLING:
  >
  > Untar the tarball (ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/sopwith/egcs-newjump.tar.gz, or
  > http://www.gnome.org/~sopwith/egcs-newjump.tar.gz) your
  > top egcs CVS tree directory. It will create the following files:
  > 	gcc/egcs-newjump.patch
  > 	gcc/jump-chain.c
  > 	gcc/jump-new.c
  > 	gcc/jump-thread.c
  > 	gcc/jump-utils.c
  > 	gcc/jump.h
This seems like major overkill.

Pulling out some of the generic functions that are used in various places in
the compiler would be good (for example delete_insn).  It would also be good
to take some of the large code hunks in jump_optimize and turn it into separate
functions to make the overall structure of jump_optimize clearer.

But I don't see the need/motivation behind creating 4 new files.

This kind of mega-patch is also not the way to get changes installed into
egcs.  We want to iterate on these kinds of changes instead of installing
a mega-patch which is difficult to review for correctness.  ie, you will need
to break the patch into a series of easier to understand, smaller patches.

You will also need to deal with the legal issues for contributing to the
egcs project.  See
http://egcs.cygnus.com/contribute.html

Finally, we are in the egcs-1.2 release cycle and past the feature freeze date.
The only patches going into the source tree for the next 2 weeks will be
bugfixes and features submitted before the feature freeze date.

jeff