Re: egcs 1.2 C++ ABI (Re: C++: STL 3.2)

    Martin> a) Leave everything as-is, claiming no compatibility.  b)
    Martin> Leave everything as-is, claiming limited compatibility
    Martin> (like: no use of STL, always link with 1.2). If such claim
    Martin> is made, it should be valid.  c) Claim stronger
    Martin> compatibility, and make changes to support that stronger
    Martin> compat.  d) Claim no compatibility, and activate some
    Martin> new-abi stuff. Squangling and the empty bases come to
    Martin> mind, honor-std should wait for the new libstdc++.

    Martin> If people are in favour of a), I'd like to know what's
    Martin> wrong with d).

I think I'm in favor of a).  Your argument for d), given that, is
cute, but a little simplistic.  In particular, the changes you're
proposing just aren't heavily tested and we're at feature-freeze time.
I do think squanling works (I use it on a MIPS machine all the time),
but it just hasn't received the kind of abuse that our default options
have.

Your argument is, perhaps, a better argument for turning on -fnew-abi
by default *after we branch*, IMO.