Re: (Getting rid of) man pages

Keith Duthie wrote the following:

> On 22 Apr 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>
> > On Apr 22, 1999, CaT <cat@zip.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > > html would be just as bad. :/
> >
> > What's wrong with lynx? :-)
> The latest version seems to mess up the terminal fonts (I've probably
> misconfigured it). Other than that, nothing.

Hmm.. I've not had problems so could be.

> > > What IS ionvolved in maintaining the man pages btw?
> >
> > Your sending legal papers to the FSF to become their official
> > maintainer? :-D
> Which is probably one of the main reasons why nobody has stepped forward.

And has made me do a bit of a doubletake...

> Perhaps someone could write a script to automagically convert the info
> files to man pages.

I've been pondering this. would be difficult in some respects. At least to
keep the order of information sane automatically.

> I'm not entirely sure why the FSF wants to get rid of man pages in favour
> of info files, but I for one turn to info only as a last resort, whereas I
> turn to man as a first resort.

Ditto. It seems like a bizarr ething to do and I fail to understand it. I've
had more problems with info then I ever have with man. I like man's
simplicity.

--
CaT (cat@zip.net.au)                       URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

For a bad joke read: