Re: Shared libraries on DU (affects libg++)

On Apr 15, 1999, Jeffrey A Law <law@upchuck.cygnus.com> wrote:

>   In message <orpv55agpe.fsf@dcc.unicamp.br>you write:

>> Then, if two libraries
>> are created like this, and you try to link them together into a single
>> program, you'll get duplicate definitions of the re-exported symbols.
> I remember the problem.  But I don't remember precisely why we got dups --

> gcc foo.c -lbar -lcom

> Where bar and com are shared libraries that were built by gcc -shared and
> thus export any libgcc symbols they use.  It seems to me that we shouldn't
> be getting symbol redefinitions.

Indeed, we no longer do.  But I'm pretty sure we used to, in some
previous snapshots.  Anyway, the problem appears to be fixed and, as
you say, using -hidden would get us more trouble than save.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Brasil
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}