Re: GCC_DEFAULT_OPTIONS?

> To: egcs@egcs.cygnus.com
> Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 21:19:08 -0500
> From: "Marty Leisner" <leisner@rochester.rr.com>

> Our cygnus-bless cross-gcc at work has GCC_DEFAULT_OPTIONS which it
> gets from the environment.

> This is very, very useful for overriding makefiles without figuring
> out how the Makefiles have to work...

> It would be relatively easy to put it in, and it gives large ROI (IMHO).

No, generally we don't like this type of magic that hides information
from us and can utterly confuse us.  It may help you, because you are
currently using it.  Imagine if your precious makefile that you don't
understand started setting that environment variable at random times
in random ways.  You'd never figure it out.  And then you would not be
able to use use the environment variable anymore.

Also, consider the dumb user (the one they hire after you leave) that
has to work on your code.  He'll file a bug report, he'll include the
command line, and presto, it will be incomplete because this variable
wasn't given.  Ick.  Now, we have to second guess every bug report
filed, and see if they have the variable set.

All in all, I say figure out his makefile scheme.  And if you have to
clean it up to make it understandable, everyone is better off if you
do this.  make "CFLAGS=$GCC_DEFAULT_OPTIONS" should be exactly what
you want.  Fix the makefiles.