Re: egcs-1.2 stuff

  In message <199903281412.JAA02308@caip.rutgers.edu>you write:
  > 	I think we should address the -fpic/-fPIC failures on the sparc.
  > This would affect glibc or really any shared library.  IIRC, Dave had a
  > preliminary fix early last fall around the time we split the 1.1.x
  > branch.  For some reason it never went in.  (?)
If it's the problem I think it is then it's unlikely we'll have a general
solution in time for egcs-1.2.

Lazy allocation of the PIC register is a bad bad idea right now.  It's going
to consistently lose.  If we want this to work 100% reliably for egcs-1.2, then
the backend is going to need to pre-allocate the register early and take the
performance hit.  This effects multiple ports that have tried to do lazy
allocation of the PIC register (for example the ppc).

Then someone will need to block out some significant time post egcs-1.2 to fix
the problem correctly.  It's not a simple problem to fix.

jeff