egcs support for the dbx debugger

Hello,

Please can someone advise me how to compile C++ programs using the egcs g++
compiler so that debugging information can be read in by dbx 4.0?

I have egcs 1.1.1 and SunOS 5.6.  I've already tried all sorts of -g
compiler flag options and macros (including g++ -DDBX_DEBUGGING_INFO -g
test.cpp and g++ -DPREFERRED_DEBUGGING_TYPE=DBX_DEBUG -g test.cpp) but dbx
fails to read in any debugging information.  So I can't trace changes in
variable values for instance.

[I'd prefer to use dbx rather than gdb because the Sun 'workshop' package
4.0 has a really nice user-friendly front-end available for the former.  If
I can't use dbx, then maybe somebody out there knows of a comparably nice
front-end GUI for gdb?]

Many thanks,

Lucas.

PS I saw a similar query to mine at